Through comprehensive coverage of the National Curriculum, we provide a broad and balanced curriculum that meets the needs and challenges of all pupils at Valley Invicta Primary School at East Borough.
Explicit links are made between subjects so that the pupils have the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge and develop their skills in different contexts. This knowledge is planned sequentially to allow pupils to build upon what they already know. This helps them to know more and remember more.
Rich in cultural capital, our curriculum offers a wide variety of learning experiences and additional opportunities. We embrace the diverse nature of our pupils and the local community to develop tolerance and understanding. The East Borough pupils also take part in globally significant events; helping them to becoming responsible citizens.
Underpinning everything we do are our Core Values: Aspiration, Respect, Resilience, Responsibility, Courage. East Borough pupils have high aspirations and demonstrate resilience in their learning. Pupils are encouraged to learn from their mistakes and try their hardest in everything they do. By promoting such a positive attitude towards learning, pupils develop a thirst for learning and achieve well.
Our curriculum is planned “starting with the end in mind!” Teachers are clear about what they want the pupils to achieve at the end of each composite and component. The learning journey is sequenced from the pupils’ starting points and each component builds towards the end point. This enables the children to see where they are in their learning journey, what came before and where the learning is going next.
The East Borough curriculum:
- Gives pupils the chance to remember what they have learnt previously and build upon this over time.
- Makes explicit links between subject areas, or to real life, and this enables pupils to see the relevance of what they are learning.
- Enables the pupils to demonstrate what they have learnt by providing high quality learning activities. These take a range of forms and support pupils in becoming independent, resilient leaners.
- Embeds knowledge in pupils’ long-term memory by creating opportunities to use and apply knowledge to deepen understanding.
- Puts reading at the heart of all learning.
- Provides children with timely appropriate feedback; ensuring that misconceptions are being addressed or the level of understanding deepened.
- Develops vocabulary in all subject areas through a whole school approach.
- Provides the pupils with a curriculum experience which enriches and inspires though the use of: high quality texts, collaborative learning, outdoor learning, visitors and trips.
- Ensures that learning is appropriately adapted to enable all children to take advantage of the curriculum on offer.
Teachers systematically check what the children know and remember. These assessments will take a range of different forms.
We are aiming for the majority of pupils to master the curriculum content in each subject area, with some pupils showing a deeper level of understanding.
This will be assessed through:
A formal summative assessment (where appropriate) at the end of the learning journey to assess if the pupils have achieved the composite.
Formative assessment opportunities will be provided at the end of components to systematically check that pupils have gained the targeted knowledge and understanding.
Assessment for Learning strategies will be used within each component to support pupils in talking clearly and knowledgeably about the topics taught; using the correct subject specific vocabulary and making links to previous learning.
The learning in pupil’s books will demonstrate that they are confident with the knowledge learnt – showing mastery of the curriculum on offer.
Pupils at East Borough are well prepared for the next stage of their education as a result of the knowledge, understanding and skills gained.
Disadvantaged pupils and pupils with SEND are well supported to make good progress.
They are helped to acquire knowledge and build confidence to succeed in life.
For further information on the curriculum, please contact the Headteacher.
Click on the links below to view the National Curriculum objectives for your child’s year group and EYFS information.
|National Curriculum Content||Date|
|Curriculum Content Year 1||01st Sep 2020||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 2||01st Sep 2020||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 3||01st Sep 2020||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 4||01st Sep 2020||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 5||01st Sep 2020||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 6||01st Sep 2020||Download|
|EYFS Development Matters Curriculum Guidance||01st Sep 2020||Download|
|Whole School Curriculum Terms 1 & 2||01st Sep 2020||Download|