To provide a curriculum that meets the needs of and challenges of all children at Valley and Invicta Primary at East Borough. We offer all children the knowledge and skills they need to become full and active members of the local community and wider society.
At VIAT East Borough the children access a curriculum organised under three global learning headings.
- Identity and Diversity
- Peace and Conflict
- Climate Change and Sustainability.
These global learning headings enable the whole school to develop a shared language and vocabulary. It provides the children with opportunities to share their knowledge and skills with all other children within school and allows for our families and community to share in the learning opportunities provided.
The curriculum content taught through these global learning themes enable the children to answer an open question posed to them at the beginning of the theme. Children will explicitly explore key concepts that are relevant to both the curriculum knowledge as well as the skills taught. Explicit links are made between subjects and the children will have the opportunity to develop the same skill in different contexts.
We do this by…
- Providing the children with a curriculum experience which enables all to be appropriate challenged.
- Giving children the chance to remember what they have learnt previously and integrate new knowledge and skills into the global themes and concepts.
- Planning explicit learning opportunities for the children to enable them to explore global concepts including discussion.
- Providing exciting opportunities to gain the knowledge and the skills they require.
- Making explicit links when this is appropriate between subject areas.
- Giving children the chance to explore key concepts through the whole range of national curriculum subjects by providing high quality first hand experiences, texts and practical tasks. These allow children to understand the relevance of the knowledge and skills they are learning.
- Offering the children the chance to demonstrate what they have learnt through a range of activities.
- Ensuring children have appropriate feedback ensuring that we are addressing misconceptions.
Ensuring that learning in adapted to enable the children to take advantage of the curriculum on offer.
The children are given opportunities to demonstrate the knowledge and skills they have learnt through a themed outcome. These could be in the form of a presentation, and event, or a collection of work.
We are developing ways to systematically check what the children have understood. These assessments will take a range of forms.
Linked to the national curriculum content are key pieces of learning identified by the teaching staff. We will ensure the children have had a clear and planned for opportunities to demonstrate their understanding of this knowledge or skill.
Children will be able to talk clearly and knowledgeably about the global theme, concepts and question and make clear links between pieces of learning from across the broad and balanced curriculum VIAT East Borough offers.
To view more information on our curriculum for terms 3 & 4 please click on the link below: -
At East Borough our vision is to provide a relevant and engaging curriculum for all children. There are many ways in which our children enjoy access to a wide range of experiences from across the whole primary curriculum. The staff consciously plan opportunities for the children that best meet their learning and developmental needs. On this website you will find photographic examples of some of the fantastic learning experiences that our children benefit from.
The positive learning culture and caring atmosphere at East Borough allows all of the children to challenge themselves in a safe and nurturing environment.
Our curriculum incorporates the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum (2014) alongside the other skills that children need to be equipped with in the 21st century.
Click below to find the National Curriculum objectives for your child’s year group. For further information on the curriculum, please contact the Headteacher.
|Curriculum Content FS||01st Sep 2019||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 1||01st Sep 2019||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 2||01st Sep 2019||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 3||01st Sep 2019||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 4||01st Sep 2019||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 5||01st Sep 2019||Download|
|Curriculum Content Year 6||01st Sep 2019||Download|
|Curriculum Information||18th Oct 2019||Download|
|Whole School Curriculum Terms 1 & 2||01st Sep 2019||Download|
|Whole School Curriculum Terms 3 & 4||06th Jan 2020||Download|