As we move towards the return to school in September, we have reviewed our COVID protocols in line with new Government Guidance. The following measures and procedures will be in place for September 2021.
Expectations and Non-Negotiables
The following principles underpin the approach to education for VIPS East Borough, and nationally, from September 2021 onwards:
- Delivery of face-to-face, high-quality, education to all students.
- It is imperative to reduce the disruption to students’ education.
- All lessons require seating plans, in case we are contacted by NHS Test and Trace, or PHE, to support with tracing.
- Providing work for pupils who test positive and have to isolate.
- Free School Meals provision must continue for any student who needs to self-isolate.
- School attendance is mandatory. Any student who has a confirmed case of Covid-19 should be coded as “I”.
- Parents/carers/staff travelling from abroad in advance of the start of term in September must take into consideration quarantine periods, and any requirement to isolate upon their return to the UK.
Still In Place
The following measures continue to be in operation for all members of the VIAT community:
- Excellent hand hygiene;
- Emphasis on cleaning of frequently-touched surfaces;
- Emphasis on good respiratory hygiene (“catch it, kill it, bin it” mantra);
- Emphasis on all occupied spaces being well-ventilated, whilst maintaining a comfortable teaching/learning environment;
- Twice-weekly Lateral Flow Testing (LFT) for all staff who are working in school, including prior to the return to school.
- Engagement with Public Health England advice (relating to testing, self-isolation, and managing positive Covid-19 cases).
No Longer Needed
The following practices are no longer in operation but may feature in any future, proportionate, response to outbreaks of Covid-19 within the school community:
- The wearing of face coverings in classrooms, communal areas and corridors;
- The wearing of face coverings by parents and visitors onto the school site, however, they may choose to do so.
- Student ‘bubbles’
- Stringent restrictions emanating from national DfE guidance;
- In-school tracking and tracing procedures – this is being undertaken from 19 July by NHS Test and Trace, who will work with the individual who tested positive;
- No shielding will be necessary other than in a very small number of cases as recommended by specialist medical professionals;
- Staggered ends to the school day for different year groups;
- From 16 August, children under the age of 18 years (or adults who have been double vaccinated) will no longer be required to self-isolate if they come into contact with a positive case. Instead, they will be advised to take a PCR test.
The following actions will be taken in the event of a positive case of Covid-19 within the school community. Self-identification of symptoms is crucial:
- Anyone (pupil or member of staff) who is in school and who develops symptoms of Covid-19 will need to be sent home;
- Anyone (pupil or member of staff) who develops symptoms of Covid-19 whilst at home should fully isolate (not attend school, meet friends or go out);
- A PCR test must then be taken by the person with symptoms.
- While awaiting the result of the PCR test, the individual who has symptoms should self-isolate;
- If the PCR test is positive, please inform the school office as quickly as possible. The school will work with Public Health England to identify pupils and staff who have been in close contact with this individual and require them to complete a PCR test.
- NHS Test and Trace will advise the individual who has tested positive of their self-isolation period, and will collect details of close contacts.
- If the PCR test of the person who has symptoms is negative, please send a copy of this result to the school office and return to school immediately.
If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact the office.
Contact information for the Valley Invicta Primary School at East Borough is as follows:
Phone number: 01622 754633